Saturday, October 11, 2014

'Tosca' Honorary Director Sanford Encourages Volunteerism

From the stage, retiring Toledo Opera trustee Ann Sanford joked to Friday's audience that it was a delight to have "Tosca" staged in her honor rather than her memory.

The full house laughed with appreciation, honoring Sanford's 20 years on the board. They were rewarded with a moving and gorgeous production of Puccini's "Tosca," staring Adam Diegel, Jill Gardner and Michael Chioldi. James Meena conducted the Toledo Symphony members, with Michael Capasso serving as stage director.

There are a handful of seats left for Sunday's performance. You don't want to miss it! Tickets are available online.

The Toledo Opera published the following note and a letter from Sanford in the program book:

Ann Sanford, Honorary Director

In grateful appreciation for two decades of loving this art form and company so much that you inspire others to love it, too. Your leadership, commitment, and enthusiasm have ensured that Toledo Opera survives and thrives today.

Dear Friends,

"Tosca" was the first opera I ever saw, and I never will forget sitting stunned in my cheap seat in the student section at the end when she ... but I can't tell  you that, you have to see it for yourself!

I am incredibly delighted that Toledo Opera has chosen to honor me with this production. I am the perfect example of "if I can do this, anybody can!" involvement with the Opera over the years. I began by singing in the chorus in the early '80s, which lasted until I was too pregnant to be swung about by my dance partner in "Pirates of Penzance." From there I volunteered to co-chair the Sapphire Ball in 1994, which raised over $100,000 for opera programs, and then became a board member for the next couple of decades.

So all you have to do is volunteer! Join the chorus, the Opera Guild, or come to a fundraiser and you will soon be part of the Toledo Opera family. We do like our parties!

We have survived some really tough times in recent years, thanks to everyone pitching in with hard work and from community-wide donations. It is a credit to Toledo that our scrappy little outfit has prospered when other, larger (but not better!) organizations have folded. The honest truth is that the productions here are as good as you will see anywhere ... and I mean anywhere! There is something magical about this theatre and the young up-and-coming artists who give their very best when they hit our beautiful stage. You may witness the next major star singing tonight, so save your program so you can look back and say, "Wait a minute, didn't we see her/him in Toledo Opera?"

Thanks to the "Sound Vision" campaign, our non-profit organization has kept main-stage opera in Toledo, brought terrific music to kids all over the area, collaborated with other arts organizations, and provided performance opportunities for many regional singers. You should all be proud to be part of the reason the opera is thriving. I know I am.

I hope to see you at many more operas in the years to come.

Ann Sanford,
Former Trustee

No comments:

Post a Comment